Thursday, November 12, 2009

Scorpion

Bet you can't guess the first thing I saw when I set up the pharmacy at the mobile clinic this morning... a scorpion. He even had a friend with him on the floor. Thankfully after a few photo-ops, Adam and Mirek took it upon themselves to kill them and Maria was kind enough to throw them out. Clinic went well after that - extremely busy though. We saw 63 patients in about 4 hours with 1 pharmacist (me). It was insane. I'm going to miss the autonomy I have here. I can change scripts if we don't have a drug or the amount seems incorrect; every prescriber listens intently to my recommendations. Coming back to the U.S. is going to be rough.

After clinic we went to dinner at Gomier's. This guy moved to Belize from St. Lucia in 1996 and opened his restaurant in 1997. He's big into health food: vegetarian, makes his own tofu and soy milk. Amazing story teller too. He told us tons about his life and his adventures, he likes and dislikes, his theories and thoughts about life and about health. He's an amazing man and an even more amazing cook. I had the vegetarian lasagna which was spectacular, the curried fish was delicious as well. Also tried his chocolate ice cream. And the whole meal cost me a whopping US$10. And afterward he picked fresh lemon grass for us to take home and make tea. He also showed us his dreadlocks that he has been growing since 1980. The end of his hair is older than I am. It's taller than he is and we could pass it around the table. The ends are dark brown while the top is stark white. We're heading back there next Tuesday for cooking lessons.

The plans for this weekend now include snorkeling, drumming and Guatemala. Next weekend we'll attempt the dives the following weekend at Sapodilla Cayes.


No comments:

Post a Comment