Sunday, November 15, 2009

It's the Freakin' Weekend Baby

So despite all the previous talk we stayed in town this weekend. Yesterday Hailey, Mirek, Liz, I, and 2 of the nurses went out with Roberto on his boat the "Wild Thing" to go snorkeling at Snake Cayes, search for dolphins and manatees in the mangroves, and go tubing. It was so much fun. I saw hundreds of fish and am really excited to dive now. Parrot fish, barracuda, etc. I even held 2 starfish and saw dozens more. It was incredible. Unfortunately I neglected to reapply sunscreen so I am paying for the whole adventure dearly, but I still had a blast. After snorkeling we went to an island to eat lunch (bologna sandwiches, apple, plantain chips, and a fig newton-like bar made with pineapple). The snake cayes are known for the red-tailed boa so Roberto found us some to see and HOLD. Liz has pictures of all of us so I have to make sure I get those from here to share. We searched for manatees and dolphins for a long time but came up with nothing so we headed back towards town to go tubing. When I say tubing I mean just like at home only this was on the ocean, with twin outboard motors, and a tube the size of a love-seat. I wiped out pretty good after staying on through 5-6 ridiculous turns.

Last night we had comfort food again for dinner (vegetable soup and grilled cheese) then packed 10 of us in the van once again to head into PG. THe whole country is celebrating Garifuna settlement this coming week (actually holiday on thursday) so there was a battle of the drums last night. So cool. I have some pictures and a video that I'll post when I get home.

Today it's off to Guatemala for cliff jumping, waterfalls, and shopping. Then back to clinic on Monday.

Tchao!


No comments:

Post a Comment