Monday, November 2, 2009

Day 3 - Orientation

Woke up early – as per usual – showered and had breakfast. We went to the market at 8am for produce. Packed 10 people into the car – there will be more like 12 people in there tomorrow for our first mobile clinic. We had a little extra time while we were down there so we checked out a few supermarkets too. When we got back to the clinic it was orientation all morning. I still need to manage to write something up for everyone about good old Dr. Dick. But anyhoo. Hailey and I got to check out the pharmacy (air conditioning!!!) and talk with John and Maria about our goals for the rotation. I’m still a little lost as to what exactly goes on day-to-day, but I guess I’ll learn it as we go.

We got a quick glance at the hospital and polyclinic in PG this afternoon. Also got to check out the Coral House Inn – we’ll be there a lot, I guarantee it. They charge BZ$10 to use the pool and wi-fi, and the bar is on your honor. More grocery shopping was also done this afternoon – we spent a whopping US$40 for groceries for 8 people. I can currently smell our coconut curry chicken baking in the oven. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Liz, Hailey, Becky, me and Merik biked 6 miles into PG tonight to jump off the dock and swim in the ocean. It was like bath water it was so warm. Then we went all the way into PG to pick up some rum for the group and biked back to the clinic. I can definitely say I’ve had my workout for the day. But jumping in the ocean off the dock was a great experience – I’d do it again in an instant, I’d just take the bus into town instead…. :-D

John has managed to set up a dive for the 4 of us who are certified. We’ve got a divemaster lined up to work with Liz and I so I think things will be good and I’m pretty excited about it. The plan is to head out this weekend to the Cayes and dive from there on a day trip. We’ve got to work out the details but I think everything will go well. I’ve really adopted the Belizean idea of “go with the flow”. There’s no reason to get worked up about things down here. It’ll all work out in the end.

Internet is still spotty, by the way. We have 1 computer with access. So I may or may not be able to post this tonight, but I hope I’ll get to soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment