Sunday, March 20, 2011

Shepherd's Pie

On St. Patrick's Day Tim and I found an Irish pub near our apartment to have a few beers and enjoy an Irish themed meal. After waiting roughly 30 minutes for a table we had prime seats to watch March Madness begin to unfold. We got some good beer and a shot of Jameson for good measure. The only problem: they were out of their "cottage pie" which is a their variation on a shepherd's pie. I was disappointed to say the least and had to settle for fish and chips (definitely not irish, although I read somewhere recently that shepherd's pie is actually an english dish, but that's not the point of this post).


I was still disappointed on Friday and Saturday so I decided to try my hand at making it myself. We had all the necessary items (veggies, meat, potatoes). After a quick google search I settled on Rachel Ray's 30 minute version because I was hungry. My only changes to her recipe would be to make sure you've got plenty of the gravy because it is delicious. If I ever made this dish again I would probably double the gravy for good measure. That, and corn is a good substitute for peas if you happen to not like peas. All and all it turned out pretty tasty (and looked gorgeous). I would definitely make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment