Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Baking Triumph


I have to give credit where credit is due. After reading the blog of my best friend (and Matron of Honor), Dessert Diva, I had an urge to make snickerdoodles. So while the fiance was at work for the day, I picked up my trusty spatula and got to work.

I've made snickerdoodles plenty of times in the past and I always encounter the same flaw: they go flat. I seem to recall that a certain aunt of mine (who may or may not read this blog - seriously, is anybody out there?!?!?) has mastered the art of the fluffy snickerdoodle, but I have yet to see that recipe. So I turned to the tried and true: AllRecipes.com

After sifting through plenty of options (hahaha, see what I did there?), I finally settled on the Mrs. Sigg's Snickerdoodle Recipe. It's fairly simple for a snickerdoodle recipe. I noticed that not many people had made comments regarding alterations to the recipe, so I figured it must be pretty good. (The comments on allrecipes are key to success. A recipe can be "ok" but with the comments from others you can end up with a stellar product. So pay attention to them!). I noticed that some people commented on the "flat snickerdoodle" dilemma that I've been dealing with. Huzzah! I'm not alone in my strife. Turns out this is a common complaint and some people noted that if you don't have fresh baking soda - the cookies will end up flat (btw - fresh means that if you throw a dash of the baking soda into water it fizzes immediately. If this doesn't happen, your baking soda's gone flat and so will your cookies).

I have to admit - although this recipe isn't perfect (the cookies weren't as fluffy as I imagined) it was by far the best I've ever used. These cookies are slightly crunchy on the outside and soooo chewy and delicious! Definitely give them a chance.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened (room temp)
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs (room temp)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon (or less to taste)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. By hand - Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. By hand - Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
  3. Mix the 3 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon into a zip-lock baggie. Roll balls of dough in mixture, covering completely. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
  4. Bake 8 minutes (this is exact). Remove immediately from baking sheets and place on wire rack to cool. Store in air tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment