Sunday, July 4, 2010

Touring Portland


My first real weekend in Portland went from potential depressing loneliness to a grand tour of the best spots on a Saturday:

1) Met up with Sara at the Farmer's Market @ PSU - Think Madison Farmer's Market but bigger with live music, wine tasting, and crepes!

2) After a good cup of coffee and a few rounds of the Farmer's Market we headed to the waterfront for the Portland Saturday Market. I expected things to be cool, but this was amazing. The whole thing reminds me of an enormous arts festival, except this happens every weekend! Lots of browsing later (oh how I wish I had more money!) and we were on our way to...

3) The Rose Gardens. Gorgeous flowers galore. There are hundreds of different types of roses and I think Sara and I may have stopped and smelled almost every one of them. We took tons of pictures too! Check 'em out!

4) After the rose garden we walked down a cute little path to NW 23rd and did some window shopping at the cute stores down there. We also had lunch at Rose's which is a quaint little soup/salad/sandwich diner that had fabulous looking desserts. We didn't have room for those, but maybe next time.

5) Next we met up with Sara's friends who were in town and went over to the JVC house. While in the neighborhood we checked out a store that has adorable bags called Queen Bee I definitely have a bag or two in mind that I'd like.

6) The highlight of the evening was definitely checking out the Kennedy School. I think it's brilliant to turn and old elementary school into a hotel/bar/restaurant/meeting space/theatre. So cool. A must return to spot!

Another great part of the day was just hanging out with fun people, seeing new places, and learning more about public transit. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Today was a dull day spent in the apartment. Not much to do/no motivation. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Happy 4th of July everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment