Wednesday, January 13, 2010

4am is sooooooo early!

I got the official word today: I'm to report to the surgery unit by 0530 tomorrow for rounds. I took a nap this afternoon in hopes it might help me. I also plan on being in bed by 2130 - even if I'm not asleep (I remember reading something about how even just being in bed with your eyes closed can provide a significant amount of rest).

I think this will be a good rotation despite the ridiculous hours (not complaining about being done at 1400 though, that part rocks). The pharmacists have been great, the surgical resident is awesome, and the nursing staff has been really nice too. I feel like I'm going to have a lot more autonomy on this rotation than I have on rotations in the past (Belize being the major exception. You don't get much more autonomy than that). The pharmacist doesn't report to the floor until 0700, so I'll be running the show myself until then. Plus I'm in charge of all of my own patients (surgery - orange team). To be honest, in my first full day there I think I saw more patients than I did in a week at my required hospital rotation. Here's to hoping I can make the most of this and learn something.

Aside from my life in UWHC, I haven't been up to too terribly much. Just purchased my plane ticket and reserved my hotel for my trip to Seattle in February. Working on finishing up my application to RegenceRx and sending that out hopefully tomorrow. Otherwise things have been going well and I'm enjoying being back in Madison full time.

Now if only I could figure out my plans for the evening....

No comments:

Post a Comment