Monday, August 17, 2009

Whatever Happened to True Fortune Cookies?


Pet Peeve: I'm at the end of a delicious meal at a Chinese restaurant. The waiter brings the bill and the "fortune cookies". I take my cookie, break it open, and am immediately upset by what I see written on that little slip of paper. Whatever happened to true fortune cookies? If I wanted a "wisdom" or "advice" cookie, I would have asked for one. I don't need my cookie to tell me that life is a gift and I should like in the present, or that I should look both ways before crossing the street. I want a fortune cookie that tells me my fortune. I finally got a good one from Chin's the other day: "You're in for a pleasant surprise tonight". Now that's what I would call a fortune. The "lucky" numbers on the back were even 12 and 14. How much more of a sign could I have gotten? And my surprise for the evening - winning pong v. my roomie with his bestie. Couldn't ask for a much more "pleasant" surprise if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment